January was a very busy month for us and I can't believe I couldn't get around to posting! Here is a recap of what went on in our lives this past month.
January 4th
My twin nephews were blessed in Dane & Lynzi's home. It was very special and the boys didn't even make a sound. They are such special little boys and couldn't be more loved!
Emma just loves her Daddy!
Haili can't get enough of holding these boys. She is in love!
So the very day that the blessing took place happened to be Haili's 11th Birthday!!!!! We celebrated that night with 2 of her cousins that had Birthdays within a couple weeks of each other.
I can not believe that 11 years has gone by since this darling, red-headed girl entered our lives. Haili is personality plus and always keeps us smiling. This girl is so tenderhearted and loves babies and animals more than anything. She is an incredible friend and adores her cousins.
We all benefit from her amazing creativity and inventions. She is ALWAYS making something and does it quite well. This fall, she made designer paper wallets and all of her friends enjoyed having a great assortment of cute colorful wallets.
Haili is a super student and has no problem keeping her grades up and is especially good at math, art, and English. We are so proud of her and her many talents. Did I mention her Dancing? Haili puts so much personality into her dancing that she sticks out in every competitions winning many awards, especially when she competes in solo's. This year she is gearing up for competitions working on a beautiful lyrical piece that shows off her talent.
Happy Birthday to the best 11 year old daughter!
Haili at her silliest
So it's not very often that Haili gets to have a Birthday party. Being born on January 4th is often hard on me to plan a party. Our New Years and Christmas parties usually leave me partied out and I try to bribe her into a fun shopping day to pick through all the leftover Christmas sales (She seriously has had the best presents of all her siblings because of the sales).
This year, being 11, I think she caught on to my plan and started begging for a Classic Skating party. I'm not a fan of Classic Skating! It is very grimy and loud and I always leave with a splitting headache. I couldn't talk her out of it so we went ahead with the plans and it was by far the best Birthday party ever!
Maybe it's being with 11 year old girls or something, because I had so much fun watching them have fun. Scot even got into the action wearing his roller blades and pulling long trains around the rink.
Haili catching papers in the cube for tokens.
The girls!!!!
Spinning the wheel for a prize....she almost won $10.
January 10th
Did anyone else make it to BodyWorlds? Well, I hope you were smarter than us and didn't wait till the last weekend to see it! We bought tickets for Saturday night @ 9:00 P.M. We arrived at the place by 8:30 thinking we would be in small groups with other people that had tickets. Wrong!!!! We started in a gigantic line in the basement, seriously in the basement. We zig zaged back and forth and all around for about an hour. When we finally made it out of the basement, we stood in another huge line that slowly made its way upstairs to the exhibit. We started our way through the exhibit at 11:00 P.M. We were so tired, yet it was amazing and fascinating. It was really crowded and dark so I had to hold onto the girls hands to keep them close by. I guess it serves us right for going the last weekend:)
Waiting in the endless line in the basement was very frustrating.
My sister's and niece's Birthdays are also in January and my niece had a cheer competition in Boise. My mom and I decided to take a girls trip and join my sister and her daughter for a fun weekend in Boise. We had a lot of fun taking our girls shopping, swimming in the hotel pool, and playing "Phase 10" in our room. It was also a lot of fun to watch Bayli perform...she is incredible! I had no idea she could tumble like that!
Hanging out waiting for Bayli to perform
Bayli's team took second
Grandma Llewelyn gave everyone a return pass to IFLY in Ogden for Christmas. This place is so fun and we were able to explore the place a little more with the rock climbing, miniature golf, bumper cars, and arcade.
Because everyone was a return flyer, the instructors just let them kinda do their own thing. It was also a longer session, so everyone had a great time.
Emma flying through the tunnel
Emma flying through the tunnel
Alex and Emma just finishing their turn
Haili and Sean pulling their earplugs out.
We celebrated Alex's 18th, yes let me say it again, 18th Birthday. His Birthday is really February 2nd, but it was easier to have a super bowl party/Birthday party at once.
Many of you don't know the challenges that Alex has faced the last year and a half, so I will give a brief update in this post:
Some of you may remember Alex's Lake Powell accident in August 2007. He was riding an air chair and took a very bad hit into the water. He doesn't remember a lot about what happened, but when I took him to the doctor right after, he was diagnosed with a bad concussion and we received instructions for his care. I had know idea a concussion could be very serious and we just kinda forgot about it and went on with life.
Around October, Alex got into some troubles and we were shocked at his behavior. We knew he was not acting like himself and over the next few months, we sought help from doctors and Psychologists, knowing something was not right with him. His personality was not the same and he had no reading comprehension (Huge red flags).
Well, this went on for a few months until we finally had him tested at UVRMC. They found that he had a concussion injury, which meant that his frontal lobe was not functioning properly. He went for cognitive therapy, but being a 17 year old made him think nothing was wrong with him and he wouldn't follow the advice of his doctors. We then had him start going to a behavior therapist to help him understand that he needed help. This also was unsuccessful.
Recently, we had Alex admitted into a Primary Children's facility where he could be put on a strict schedule and they could target where and what he was lacking so that he could be treated properly.
Alex is doing so well! Today he had more testing done and it reconfirmed that he indeed had a concussion injury. We are seeing progress so quickly and know that he is now on the right road to overcoming this challenge.
Thank you to all family and friends who have kept him in your prayers. I know this has helped tremendously and we would not be where we are without you.
These pictures are of a happy 18 year old that now has hope that he will get the right kind of help. We are seriously seeing our son come back to us!
5 comments:
What an exciting month! Happy Birthday Haili! We are hoping Alex continues to get better and better, he is a good kid!
Cori, I cried when I read this post. It is so nice to see all of your family happy and especially Alex. Tell him I'm thinking of him and our family loves him!
So glad that Alex is doing better, what comfort for his mother! Sounds like you guys have been busy. Hope we can be a fun family like you guys! :)
What a month! I am glad we got to see you a couple times this month...and Alex is definitely doing much better! I am so glad, he is such a sweet kid! But, all of your kids are sweet...give them hugs for me and I will probably be back soon...
that is one jammed packed month. sounds like you not working has made your life is even more busy. i bet your loving it!
Post a Comment