Monday, September 15, 2008

Mmm....Salsa!


The very best thing about growing a garden is making homemade fresh salsa. For the past 10 years I collect baskets of tomatoes and follow my favorite salsa recipe by my friend, Rachele Foushee Beck. I have tweaked it to make it my own, but here it is:

2 large white onions, chopped
2 jalapeno, chopped and seeded (add to taste)
1 large bowl of fresh tomatoes, blanched and peeled
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I use about 1/2 cup)
2 Tbs Italian seasoning
2 Tbs. lime juice, fresh squeezed
1 Tbs salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)

You can use a food processor or chop veggies by hand. I seriously put this on everything, eggs, chips, salad, fish (tilapia is the best), any Mexican dish, or I just eat it plain... I love it!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

YUMMY! That sounds so good right now. Too bad I'm not as domestic as you and don't have a garden. I think everyone should at least grow some tomatoes every year.. next year will be my year to start :) Baked Tostitos and Fresh Salsa, life can't get any better than that!

Lowe family recipes said...

This sounds soooo good! I'm trying it tomorrow night!

JENNE said...

Cori,
I know Rochele she used to take Yoga classes from my favorite teacher ever - Jenny. I even have this recipe book. I also happen to love, love, love salsa. We have so much in common.
Jen
P.S. Hiking Timp in the Fall is the best time of year to go. Make sure it is a sunny day - and get up there!

Unknown said...

OOOhhh! I can't wait to get there to try some of this...save a bowl for me!

Jessica said...

Zack is doing great in K this year.. (I hope) Parent Teacher conferences are tomorrow ! :) Guess we'll see, huh? :) He told me that it feels like I leave him there for twenty days before I pick him up. Made me laugh. All in all, it's been great for everyone having him gone ALL DAY! :)

Unknown said...

THANK YOU. I've been looking for a salsa recipe but it had to have lime and cilantro. Finally, a woman who knows how to make salsa. I'll be using this for-e-ver.

Did we decide on next Friday then? Matt and I aren't going out of town. E-mail me. :)

{jane} said...

mmm, looks yummy! I have never made homemade salsa, but I'm always very impressed when other people do! One of these days I'll get around to trying it...